Uncooked meat can be quite harmful to the body. Among this health risks are;
- E. Coli- Eating undercooked meat can lead to E. Coli. This leads to diarrhea, vomiting and even stomach cramps. To avoid this, you are advised to cook your meat well thus avoiding stomach conditions.
- Salmonella- If you eat undercooked poultry products, you risk getting infected with the salmonella virus. This may lead to abdominal cramps. If untreated, this condition can lead to death for people with weakened immunity.
- Listeria- This disease is also mostly associated with uncooked poultry products. this disease may cause one to feel nausea, vomit and even ache in the muscles. This ailment is most likely to get pregnant women than non-pregnant women.
To avoid getting either of the above listed ailments, you ought to ensure your chicken is well cooked. With thighs, it is advisable to boil before you cook thus you are sure each part is well cooked. This will ensure you enjoy your finger licking sweet meal without getting exposed to bacteria. However, knowing how to best boil your chicken can prove to be an aching matter.
This article aims at showing you how to boil chicken thighs thus you will find it as easy as counting to three. Before getting into boiling procedures, it is wise to know the benefits of boiling your chicken thighs.
Benefits of Boiling Chicken Thighs
- Ensures your meat is well cooked- Once you boil your meat, you are assured that it cooks to the inner most part. This ensures that once you fry or roast your meat every part is well cooked.
- Helps in tenderizing your meat- Nothing is as irritating as tough meat. Having directly fried or roasted your meat, some parts don’t get well cooked thus your meat gets tough. To ensure your meat is soft, boil it first thus when you cook it again its tender. This gives you an easier time eating meat thus enjoyable meals.
- Prevents you from falling sick- Uncooked meat is known to expose one to several ailments. To avoid this ailments one has to ensure they fully cook their meat thus no infections. To do this, boil your meat before cooking thus your meat is free of any ailment causing bacteria.
- Reduces fat content in meat- Fat contained in meat has been known to bring about obesity. Also, it has been associated with several other medical conditions including goiter. To ensure you are not exposed to these ailments, boil your meat before cooking thus ridding it of fat.
- Boiling makes meat easily detachable from the bone thus you need not fight with bones to get meat.
Having done this, you can easily fry your meat without having to worry about excess fat consumption. This ensures that you gain sufficient proteins from the chicken without gaining excessive fats.
How to Boil Chicken Thighs
So as to turn your cooking experience to an even greater one and get fitted with many accolades, boiling meat is a major plus. However, while boiling meat you have to ensure you do it in the right way. To boil your chicken thighs well;
- Ensure that your chicken thighs are in sizable chunks thus easily cooking.
- Ensure your chicken thighs are not thawed. This will make the chicken thighs to take a longer time cooking.
- Use enough salt so as to tenderize your meat completely.
- Ensure your chicken thighs are clean so as to avoid bacterial infections.
To boil your chicken thighs follow the procedure below;
Skin your chicken thighs and apply salt and seasoning like pepper. Place the chicken thighs in a large cooking vessel and place on your cooker. Ensure that you do not put too much salt on your chicken thighs to avoid them getting bitter.
add any additional seasoning as the water boils so that you are sure it cooks well. Spices that are undercooked may be quite harmful to your body as they contain harmful chemicals. To avoid falling sick, ensure you give your spices enough time to cook properly. While at it, ensure you use spices that do not expose your body to any harm.
Put water to a level that it fully covers the chicken. Cover the lid and give your water adequate time to boil. So as to boil within a short duration of time, tune the heat to a high level so as to cook fast. As water boils, spices get to reach every part of your chicken thighs thus equally spiced food.
Once your thighs boil, turn the heat off and give your chicken time to cool down. To ensure that all parts are fully cooked, you can use a meat thermometer to check. To efficiently get the temperature, insert the thermometer to the thickest part of the thigh avoiding the bone. If your meat is well cooked, the thermometer will indicate a temperature on 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
If your thermometer registers a lower temperature, turn the heat on for fifteen more minutes thus ensuring your chicken thighs are perfect. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, cut your meat a little bit to check if its pink. If it has traces of pink, return to the cooker as it has not yet cooked well.
Once your chicken thighs are well cooked, turn the heat off and remove the thighs from water. This will ensure that your thighs lose excess water thus you can easily fry or even roast them. The soup from the chicken thighs is great to drink as it is rich in fats and proteins. Taste to feel if the seasoning you added is enough. If it is not, add more seasoning and place it on heat for five to ten minutes.
With this done, your thighs are ready to consume. If you fry this meat or even roast it, your meat will be tender enough. This will make your meat fall off the bone without much struggle. While at it, give your chicken ten to twenty minutes to cook fully.
Boiling chicken thighs in flavored liquids
To add extra flavor to your chicken thighs, you can boil your chicken in flavored liquids. This will ensure that your chicken thighs are tasty enough in all parts. To do this follow the procedure below.
Remove your chicken thighs from the fridge and thaw them well. You can do this under running water thus ensuring your meat cooks well and is of great taste. With well thawed thighs, your flavor will get to reach each part well.
Put your liquid and flavors in a pot. While doing this, ensure that no spice is harmful to your body thus you get to have healthy meals. You can also add vegetable broth to your liquid. Adding meat tenderizers ensure that your meat is soft thus a greater time eating your chicken thighs.
Place your chicken thighs in the liquid and ensure they are all covered. To ensure that your chicken thighs get to taste great in all parts, ensure that the liquid fully covers your chicken thighs. If your chicken thighs are visible above the liquid, add more liquid until they are fully covered.
Place your pot on the stove and turn the flame on. Cover the pot so as to ensure your thighs are perfectly cooked. Most preferably, cut your thighs to ensure that each part of your chicken thighs is well cooked. For skinless thighs, give a shorter period of time as they cook faster. This will be between fifteen and twenty minutes.
Cut one of your chicken thigh to ensure the inner part is white. If not, return your chicken on the cooker for more minutes to ensure it cooks well. Drain all the liquid into another container. Having done this, your chicken is safe for consumption. You can serve your chicken with plenty dishes without struggle. Also, you can fry your chicken thigs without fearing that they will lose taste.
Wash your hands while handling chicken meat so as to avoid contaminating your food. This ensures that the bacteria discussed earlier on does not get to affect you in any way. Boiled chicken thighs can be stored in the fridge for up to four days before eating. This gives you the chance to prepare your ingredients in advance thus no late meals.
How long to boil chicken thighs?
Well, while at it, you do not wish to over boil your meat thus getting very soft meat. You need it just tender enough. To ensure this, you should give your chicken between twenty to thirty minutes to boil. This will ensure that your meat is cooked well. Also, ensure that you do not heat your chicken thighs for shorter periods thus leading to undercooked meat.
Nutritional benefits of chicken thighs
- Chicken meat is a rich source of protein thus you get to build a strong body after a serving of chicken thighs. Proteins are good for cell regrowth, muscle building and immune function. Eating chicken and working out a little bit will ensure that you stay in perfect shape. Also, eating chicken ensures you have a healthy body thus lesser chances of falling ill.
- Chicken is a rich source of both hemoglobin and myoglobin. This two components of blood are responsible for carrying oxygen to all parts of the body. Chicken wings are rich in iron which is needed in making these blood components thus you get to generate several.
- Cholesterol is a component found in most animal meat. Red meat contains a high amount of cholesterol which is quite harmful to the human body. White meat, however, contains fair amounts of cholesterol. Too much cholesterol leads to buildup of plaque which may lead to heart attack.
- Chicken thighs are rich in potassium. Potassium is used by the body to ensure the right fluid balance and minerals. This ensures that your heart is in a perfect condition. Also it ensures that your muscles function perfectly thus you get a healthy body.
Factors to consider while boiling your chicken
Well, boiling your chicken has plenty advantages. However, you have to put the following factors into consideration before thawing your chicken.
- Size of meat chunks- the size of chunks plays a major role in ensuring that your chicken is fully cooked. Having big meat chunks may lead to cooking your meat poorly thus uncooked meat. To avoid either of this situations ensure all chunks have a good size thus you get fully cooked meat.
- State of your chicken- When boiling your chicken, you have to ensure it is in a state where it can fully boil. Also, you have to ensure it is not stuffed as the stuffing’s may release harmful chemicals to your body. While at it, ensure that your meat is in sizable chunks thus it can fully cook without much trouble.
If you are looking to know that how to boil chicken thighs to make it tender you should try boiling it. This is because boiling does not only cook your meat but also make it easier to eat. If your meat was from the fridge there is no much worry as your meat will be thawed and cooked at the same time. Also, boiling kills any bacteria present in the meat thus a healthy meal.
If you are looking to save yourself from the agony of frequently buying vinegar, try boiling your meat. This will prove to be a cheap and convenient way of keeping your meat tender and sweet.